Thursday, September 06, 2007

Marching band fun and other early morning pursuits

This morning, Andrew was watching 13 Going on 30 on Tivo (yes, he'll probably hate me for telling y'all this!). As Tom was getting him ready to walk out the door, the Whitney Houston song "I want to dance with somebody who loves me" was playing. So we told him "It's time to march with somebody who tolerates you." We didn't want to get into the whole "love" thing because today is a percussion day and his girlfriend plays the flute ;)

This probably was a lot funnier than I wrote it. Today I have a theory paper due (just need some revisions and it's done!), my first statistics homework (I actually understood it!) and the big meeting about "the paper".

I'm writing my second paper for publication, but this is the first one that is actually my responsibility. The last paper I was brought in on after it was underway and I turned out to be third author. I like being third author :) A little writing, a little responsibility, but not bad overall. This time I'm first author.

It really wouldn't be bad, but I've had all summer to work on this, our self-imposed deadline is next Friday, and it is nowhere near where I want it. It didn't help that I've had all this family drama this summer. Between my mom living with me for a month, my grandfather dying, and my father being in this horrible "wreck that was not a wreck", I'm pretty much spent.

Last week I had a talk with my boss/advisor who was asking me if I should back off of school right now. Trouble is, school is the thing that is keeping me going. I enjoy my work and I love spending time with my family. But school (and choral union) is me time. It's the one thing that I can really do for myself and not feel guilty about. I feel guilty about choral union, but I feel SO good after I get out of there!

So hopefully everything will go well. I know the stats work is correct because we have to do the computer stuff also, so that's helpful. The theory paper is OK, and we accumulate points at a lower rate this early in the semester so even if I bomb it, it won't be that bad. I'm more worried about the publication paper. I guess I just need to try to type a little more and be satisfied with what I have. She knows I'm behind and she's been incredibly supportive. I'm just a little disappointed with myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home