Friday, April 13, 2007

I had the tornado dream again

But this time, it was a little different. Usually it comes in times of stress, and usually I am driving or standing in a place where I can see them. There are many many many tornadoes, but I never feel at risk. In fact, I never feel a breeze or even rain. It is like I am an observer but the phenomenon is in place very close to me.

This time, I was on an airplane, about to depart. We were heading to El Paso, from whence we would travel to a family reunion spot. I was with my 2 youngest children - Tom and Andrew were on another flight.

The flight had many many problems, but I remember this feeling of absolute peace when we rose above the clouds and the entire storm was beneath us. We had risen above the blackest clouds I had ever seen. During the flight, the sky above us was pristine blue, and the sky below us was black but not foreboding. There was no turbulence in the wall of clouds, nor was there any thunder or lightning. It was just a feeling of rising above that was peaceful and calming.

I don't know what to think about this. Usually, tornadoes in my dreams represent ongoing stress that has no forseeable outlet. So I have to wonder about my stresses and what is going on in my life:

Tom is approaching his last finals, then he graduates law school. I will (hopefully!) no longer be the only wage-earner for a family of 5.

Andrew is in his teenage years. He wants a job and will be driving sooner than I'm ready ;) But he is responsible and mature. He has occasional teen angst and outbursts that resolve quickly. I am really not very concerned about him.

Chris is doing better in school, but still has his moments, and I have no concerns about Chloe.

I am attempting to give notice on my job (which I love) so I can leave for an incredible opportunity. More about that after I actually get in contact with my boss ;)

I am progressing OK in school, but I have some big concerns.

So I don't know how to process this dream. I am assuming that it represents the stresses that I am leaving. I love my current job, but it is emotionally and physically stressful. My money and relationship issues should be easing (hopefully the relationship won't get worse as I spend more time with Tom!)

It also concerns me that the dream included my 2 youngest. In the dream I was aware that Tom and Andrew were already at their destination and were safe. Does this imply some sort of unconscious fear for my youngest? And myself? Only one time can I remember anyone else being in the dream with me, and that was Tom during a turbulent time in our relationship. We were watching the tornadoes together. So I'm hoping this isn't representing some sort of brewing crisis that will happen with the little ones.

I feel a little odd blogging about something this personal and unusual, but I've always found a little bit of answers in dreams, especially those which repeat. For some reason, I never remember having any of the stereotypical dreams like showing up for class unprepared for a test, or realizing I'm naked in public. I don't know why, but for some reason my dreams seem to be very obscure?

Oh well, I guess it's yet another reason that I'm "different"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

wow, that's deep! My stress dreams are either the one where I find out at the end of the semester that I had a class that I never attended and I'm expected to take a final for (I've had that for years, even when I wasn't in school) or the one where my teeth start falling out.

Luckily, my life is relatively unstressful at the moment so mainly I just have your garden variety nonsensical dreams or my favorite! The sex dreams :)

Hopefully we'll get to catch up one of these days. I head to Denver in two weeks, but hopefully if all goes well, I'll be back in Arkansas in August. Who knew that I'd like the south?? Not to mention, I've had more dates here than in the last decade :)

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home