Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More good news :)

I usually get my Dad news from Mom, which is probably not the best way to do it. I know I should talk to the nurses, but I figure Mom will give me the scoop since she's there all day and asks a ton of questions.

Apparently there's some questions she needs to ask more often. I just found out that his right eye is briskly reacting, while the left eye is sluggish. Hey, it's improvement, I'll take it. Also, he doesn't have the art line anymore and he's been doing more time off the vent. Of course I didn't have the heart to tell Mom that if he gets totally off the vent he'll be out of the ICU. I tried doing the whole "anticipatory guidance" thing with her earlier and she just about freaked at the idea of him having less attentive care. But that's why they put the I in ICU - it's only for people who need that level of care. Not to say that the floors can't do a good job also, but Mom really needs the one on one attention a little more than Dad does ;)

I had been asked to call my grandmother (Dad's mom) who lives in Seattle. I haven't seen her or talked to her since Steve's wedding. We were never very close although she's always been very nice when I'm around. I didn't think about it, but she told me that Dad always called on Tuesday nights to check on her. She sounded so desperately sad. I was able to give her a good update and she was thankful. This whole thing has really thrown her more than anyone. I mean, Dad was in almost perfect health and in great shape, but he is 63. It's not unusual for someone my age to have a father in a medical crisis. But this is her son. I can't imagine if someone did something this awful to one of my children. How do you deal with it? She's 87 years old and she's losing her vision. There's no way she'll be able to travel all the way to the Southland to visit her son. I can't imagine how helpless that feels.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I love the comment about your Mom needing one on one attention, I can't think of how many times in the NICU we've staffed that way just because of the parents wearing the nurse down :) She's REALLY going to hate it when he's moved to step down! I'm glad to hear he's making steps forward though!!! Keep believing!!

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home