Sunday, August 19, 2007

Six Flags - St. Louis

Apparently, Six Flags over Mid America has changed its name to Six Flags St. Louis, which is a little confusing because why are they flying the Illinois flag? Anyway, I took Chris (10 years old) to Six Flags for an impromptu trip. He's been scared of the park ever since my lovely MIL lost him at the park several years ago. So if we ever want to take the family again, I figured I needed to take him one on one.

Our first stop was the Ninja coaster. I had Chris watch several revolutions of the ride and he convinced me that he was ready. But I think that he really wanted to ride it because he likes Ninjas. He was a little bit traumatized after the ride!

Next we tried the Mine Train, which turned out to be too fast for him. After that we hit the bumper cars, water rides, and some of the kiddie attractions. Since the aim was to get him over his fear of Six Flags, I let him make all the choices.

As we drove to the park, I told him that he could choose to go on whatever he wanted, but that I really wanted to ride the Screaming Eagle. I was 8 the last time we visited, and I always wanted to ride it. We came upon the Eagle after the coaster debacles, so I just ignored it. But Chris told me that he would wait by the exit if I wanted so I could ride it. What a sweetie! I told him that we'd just do it another day when we had the whole family.

I was surprised to see another ride, the Highland Fling which was basically the old Spinnaker. If I remember correctly, the Spinnaker was removed shortly after a similar ride caused injuries or death at the State Fair. One of the compartments fell off. Which makes the name "Highland Fling" just a little creepy!

It was a good trip overall. Chris got over his fear and I got to reminisce at one of my favorite childhood spots. One of the fun things about being in this area is that every once in a while I get surprised by memories of my childhood, and it's so fun to share those with my kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I used to love the screaming eagle when I was younger, but when I rode it a few years ago I thought it was going to break every bone in my body!!! It's so rough, I'm used to those nice, smoothly enginneered metal coasters these days. My Mom and I had ridden all of the coasters there (except the Beast - we just never made it over that far) and decided that we would never torture ourselves with the eagle again :)

glad you had a nice time! I used to LOVE the Highland Fling as a kid, I like going upside down!!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home