Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A nice, non-bitchy post

Yes, I've been a bit snarky lately, so here's a post about nice happy things, even though it's raining outside and we're expecting a real winter blast tonight (stop that!)

OK, today has been a really nice, I'm totally on day schedule, I have nothing I absolutely HAVE to do, sort of day. Which means I'm cleaning (roll eyes). So after a little while, with my dining room and kitchen looking fab, I decided to head out to my local crack house, I mean Sam's.

I'm really not a shopaholic, but I can do some fairly serious damage in there. Thankfully, I haven't gotten my big-ass chest freezer yet, but when I do, look out ;)

It's fun to people watch at Sam's, as there are ALL sorts. You see the small business owners buying supplies for their livelyhood, the moms with small children (I'm so happy to be past that stage!), the couples who shop together (???), and various others. This time of year you also see the "I'm stocking up for the holidays because I have 57 people coming over and I need tons of food and snacks and paper plates and wine wine wine. Either that or they're expecting 10 really hungry drunks. The woman next to me in line bought about 5 cases of the same wine (I hope it's good?) If it were me, I'd want a variety, but of course, I don't know what she was shopping for. But it's fun to speculate ;)

You can really get a bit psychological with what's in people's carts. Here's a sampling of mine:

-Les Bourgeois Chardonel (someone likes to experiment with wine, but doesn't like paying a lot for it, also likes to support local businesses with really cool restaurants)
-Peanut Brittle (didn't go there to buy peanut brittle, but saw the display and set a fairly innocuous limit, saying she wouldn't buy it unless it was the type made in Duncanville, Texas. Oops. Who knew? Dammit, that's good stuff! And it's from home!)
-Big ass jar of southwest chipotle spices (someone is unimpressed with the variety of Mexican food places in this little Midwest town)
-Peanut butter (someone has kids who go through this at amazing speed)
-Sliced Prosciutto (pretentious? or experimnetal. Either way, it's the ham of the gods)
-Newman's Own Spring Mix (likes to try organic stuff on a small basis, likes buying things that go towards a good charity)
-Spanakopita (yummy - has good taste LOL)
-Those little tuna and cracker combinations (someone bought that at the same time as prosciutto and spanakopita? Oh yeah, she must work night shift and wants to avoid packing a lunch and ordering out all the time).

So that's just a smattering of my list. I was a good girl and didn't buy any movies or books (that was SO hard) or cheese (had to slap my hand). But it still put me back a pretty penny. OTOH, I have several meals worth of food and the storm's a-comin', which means I'm perfectly positioned for a multiple hour power outage (dammit! I tried to eliminate the snark)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home