Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Yes, we all aspired to be fry cooks...

According to this blurb, there is an industry backlash against a commercial which features K-Fed as a fry boy, daydreaming of being a rapper. No, it's not a documentary. Instead, the restaurant group says that the commercial implies that a fast food career is "demeaning and unpleasant".

I worked fast food a little bit in high school and college. Nothing helped me to see that I REALLY needed that college degree more than having to deal with the joys of the restaurant biz. And I wasn't even in a hot steamy sticky kitchen, either!

Yes, it is good, hard, honest work. But let's face it, no one aspires to be the head fry cook at a drive thru restaurant. I'll have to reserve judgement until the Super Bowl airs the ad, but it just sounds too funny for words ;)

The sad thing is, I met several people who were in their late 20s and above who were still working the fry machines. That is NOT a life to aspire to, and I hope that they eventually were able to find better work. One man in particular worked both at my catfish restaurant and at the Mexican place next door. I couldn't believe how many hours he put in. He was a very pleasant, hard working person, but he worked so hard for so little money.

So for the restaurant CEO who wrote that fast food work isn't demeaning or unpleasant, I'll bet he never had to work in the back of one of those fast food places. It's not demeaning for a high schooler or college student, but for those who wind up career fry guys, it's just too sad. I'll be forever grateful that I left that world behind at 19.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home