Saturday, September 30, 2006

Reunion Time!

I am in Duncanville, Texas, for a marching band reunion. But not just ANY marching band reunion - a reunion of the 1986 Texas State Champions!



For those of you who aren't band dorks, this may seem silly, or a little trite. You may think I'm a huge nerd for being this dedicated to a marching band. But this was more than just a small chunk of my life, or a simple extra-curricular activity. I don't see myself ever driving 600 miles for a journalism reunion, even though I really loved being on paper staff. Heck, if I was in town, with nothing else to do, I doubt I could bring myself to attend a French Club reunion. My 10 year (1989) class reunion was nothing exciting, either. So what is so special about this reunion, or this group?

We spent a huge amount of time in band. So much time, that few of us were able to successfully take on other extra-curricular activities which required time out of class. I spent a year on newspaper staff, but I had an entire class period in which to work on my stories. I spent a year in drama club, but never got to be in a play. In fact, I turned down the only play that I had a part in when I had a conflict with band.

Almost all of my friends were in band. At my 10 year reunion, I talked to the band people. I met many other people, but our band was so large (375 people) that it was just easier to hand around with them. I worked with band people, dated band people, and had slumber parties with them as well. If it sounds like a boring existence, it was anything but that. We went to Corpus Christi twice, Austin several times (many twice in one year), and Los Angeles my senior year for the Tournament of Roses. We went to playoff games in Texas Stadium (no more than one per year) and played in All Region band together.

Anyway, I hadn't realized the impact of this organization until this weekend. I was so excited to come here, but I didn't realize how wonderful this group was until I got here. We've all grown up, and I've found myself talking with all sorts of people who I barely knew in high school. So many are doing such interesting things. One finished her PhD in music theory, and another completed his PhD in mechanical engineering. We also have a local cop (who has provided many details about our former neighborhoods!!!), several lawyers and businesspeople, a candidate for state office, several people who have traveled the world, and several who are concentrating on their families. We are quite a diverse group!

When you look at the effort needed to win a state championship, you look at hard work, dedication, and teamwork. All of which were present in this group. They are qualities which have followed many of us into our adult lives. In some ways, being around these people again, it seems like we are back in time. A few of us have changed in looks, and many of us (myself included) have put on some pounds. But at the core, we are still the same people. It's just exciting to see everyone again and learn about the past several years :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

glad you had a nice time!! It's always fun to catch up with people from the past!!

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home