Saturday, September 23, 2006

Someone call 911

Well it finally happened. The "hey, she's a nurse" moment I've been dreading LOL. I was at the mall with the kiddos and someone called out "Someone call 911". I looked around to see if there was some sort of fight or gun situation. Call me a coward, but I'm not going to jump into THAT sort of situation. It looked like a person was down, so I made sure the kids were secure (Don't go ANYWHERE) and ventured to the other side of the food court. I got to the guy and said "I'm a nurse". Turned out there were already 2 nurses and a doctor there. Another nurse arrived shortly. I guess that if anything happens to me at the mall I should rest assured that the medical community likes the food court ;)

He had simply passed out, and had regained consciousness. A person in the foodcourt was talking to 911. One of the other nurses had found out that the man was a diabetic who hadn't eaten anything all day (hmm... could that be the problem at 2 pm?). So I got to the Orange Julius and cut in front of the line to get some orange juice. The girl at the counter was very helpful :) By the time I got back, mall security had finally made it there and was trying to boss everyone around. I don't know if he tried to see if anyone had medical experience or not, but I think he was in pretty good hands LOL. A while after that, another security person wandered up with the AED (Automated External Defibrillator). I was glad to see that he brought it, but since we were several minutes into the situation by this point, it was fairly useless.

I'm glad that my kids were old enough to be reliably away from me for a while. Andrew is 13 and very mature, so I had no problem leaving them for a while (plus I could easily see the kids from my vantage point. It was very interesting being in this situation, and it reminded me how skittish I still am in working with adults. After all, I've been an adult nurse for 2 weeks now LOL. If it had been a choking child, I would have been in my element LOL.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I've been away from the blogs but wanted to check in! Glad to hear that Med neuro hasn't been too bad. give yourself a few months to adjust and remember that learning new things is fun :) As for being behind, in my time in SICU, it seems that being behind is kindof the norm in the adult ICU world because they don't have those nice minimal stimulation down times that we get in NICU. It seemed like around 2 a.m. most of the nurses finally got around to charting!!

as for references, it may seem silly, but the "Critical Care Made Easy" book- the one with pretty colors and cartoons really is very helpful. It's stuck somewhere in a box in my storage space or I'd lend it to you.

And be sure to take care of your back!!!! Having strong core muscles will strengthen your back and you're gonna need it for that unit!!

I'll catch up with you later!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home