Monday, August 21, 2006

Job offers

I just got off the phone with HR. I didn't get the second round of interviews for the educator position. I'm not terribly surprised, because I really didn't feel that I did well with the interview. I do have a job offer with an adult ICU, and I'm awaiting a call back for the $$. i won't switch if it's a decrease in pay. If it's the same or more money, then I'll seriously consider it.
I'm to the point in my career where I need some new opportunities. I absolutely love what I do right now, but I don't feel stimulated in my work environment (gee, that sounds kind of creepy doesn't it?) I love working with infants and their families, and I really enjoy being secure in my knowledge. A part of me is scared to move on, to work in an area where I have very little knowledge and no comfort base. Besides, how can I say no to this face?



OTOH, I remember moving to Pediatric ICU, and it was a fairly smooth transition. I wound up moving at the same time as a new graduate internship, so I got a lot of classwork out of that. Plus, I feel reassured by this move because they actually have a unit educator and supposedly I would have one preceptor to work with on each shift. That's one of the complaints I have about my current job - that the internship is so scattered for the new people and that there are few standards as to the appropriate practices.
I am concerned that I won't fit in or won't like the new position. OTOH, I think that if I stay where I am that I won't ever have career growth. And that's my new focus. If I don't want to grow, then why not stay in a unit where I already know the people and the schedule? I have a lot of friends on this shift, but I can still go back and visit I'm sure ;) Especially when they're busy.

So it looks like I'll be doing a lot of thinking and talking tonight. I'll try to make a decision before tomorrow. It's funny, I've thought and hoped for so long that I could move, and now that I have the opportunity, it's a little scary ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home