Sunday, August 20, 2006

Wow - it's been a while since I've posted!!!

It's amazing how quickly time can pass, isn't it? Gee that's just SUCH a cliche. Lovely.

Well, since March or so I've made some big decisions. I was taking some music classes, working somewhat towards a teaching degree, and looking to leave nursing for good. Then something happened. I realized that, in a crazy way, I really do enjoy what I do. I enjoy being able to make a difference in someone's life. Plus, I was really happy with my career before moving to Missouri. Hmm... what's a girl to do?

So this summer I've undertaken some serious soul-searching. Sat on a beach, went to my Texas happy place (no kidding- there is such a place, but it's 8 hours from Dallas), and thought and thought, and thought. For I am a bear of very little brain ;)


(sleeping on my decisions)


Overall I've decided that the music option had a few problems with it. Even though I LOVED my classes and had SO much fun, was it truly a profession that I saw myself in? I had started this path thinking that the reasons behind my leaving music had to do with money, lack of a good instrument (more money), and a particularly horrible year in which I had bronchitis AND mono. Lovely. But lo and behold, I found myself in 2006 with some of the same doubts and concerns. I had a great instrument (thanks to a steady job), no shortage of tuition money (thanks to tuition discounts from work), and I was overall fairly well. So with a clearer mind, I was still seeing some drawbacks. Namely the relatively small number of jobs and some fun times with the school of education advising people.

In the meantime, I also started to see what drew me to nursing in the first place. I make a difference in peoples' lives. Sometimes it's not always apparent to them or to me, but it is gratifying nonetheless. And there is a huge component of continuing education, research, and advocacy that is inherent in my current job, and not so prominent in my hoped-for career. So as it stands, I am sticking with nursing.

I am still in the middle of a job search relating to nursing, which I'll post about soon. I've gotten one offer and am awaiting to hear of another offer. I won't be taking any classes this semester, which is good, because it means that I can devote all my resources to figuring out the next paths. But one next move is re-applying for the PhD (yes, I AM crazy!).

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I didn't know that you had a blog! Glad to hear about the job opportunities - let me know how it turns out :)

BTW- you'd be irritated by how they do things here too. Some things are better (developmental care), some things are worse. I'm just enjoying being out of MO and at the beach!!

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home