Thursday, May 01, 2008

My tornado experience

I was discussing my tornado experience with a friend the other night and I happened upon this news footage of the tornado's after-effects.

In 1994 I lived in Cedar Hill. My best friend from college was giving a recital in Waco, so I drove down to visit her. Afterwards I drove home up I-35.

I heard the whole way about storms hitting the Dallas area and I saw a lot of tremendous lightning. It was really beautiful. I didn't hit any rain until I was in Waxahachie. As I approached Red Oak (where my inlaws lived), the rain intensified and then suddenly stopped. It was VERY still. I decided for some strange reason to go by and visit the inlaws. Bear in mind, those are the same people I've mentioned before on this blog, so it's strange that I would want to just drop in and see them. As I was crossing over I-35, I noticed some strange white clouds to the north.

When I arrived at their house, they told me that a tornado had hit at I-35 and Beltline road, which is where I usually exited to get to Cedar Hill. I wasn't scared to drive to their house, but it was REALLY scary driving home after that. I had to stay a while because there were more storms heading through. Then I had to make my way home rather carefully because of all the downed power lines.

This was such a terrible storm. It really devestated Lancaster (most of the areas you're seeing are neighborhoods) and the town square was especially hard hit.

Luckily, that's my only close encounter with a tornado so far!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home